Intake AY2010 & Earlier | Intake AY2011 - 2013 | Intake AY2014 | Intake AY2015 | Intake AY2016 | Intake 2017 | Intake 2018 onwards
|A. Major Requirements
||B. General Education Requirement (GER)
||Prescribed Electives (PEs)
||Unrestricted Electives (UEs)
|7 Courses + FYP
A. Major Requirements (69 AUs)
The Major Requirements for Linguistics and Multilingual Studies Major consists of 3 components:
- Linguistics and Multilingual Studies Core Courses (21 AUs)
- Linguistics and Multilingual Studies Prescribed Electives (40 AUs)
- Graduation Project (FYP) (8 AUs) - Check your eligibility here.
Requirements of the Linguistics and Multilingual Studies Major:
A1. Linguistics and Multilingual Studies Core (Compulsory) Courses
The 7 core courses (21 AUs) equip students with a firm foundation in Linguistics. Each course (unless otherwise stated) is equivalent to 3 AUs.
Students are strongly advised to complete all the LMS core courses by the end of their second year.
A2. Linguistics and Multilingual Studies Electives
Students must choose 12 electives (with a minimum of 40 AUs) from the wide range of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies Prescribed Electives. At least 4 of the 12 electives must be from level-4000 courses, and at least three electives must be from level-3000 courses. These courses are offered in five concentrations. These are:
Language, Mind and Multilingualism
Multilingual Societies and Multiculturalism
- HG2017 Father-and-Mother tongues: Languages of SE Asia
Language and Technology
1. The Programme recommends students to take an average of 3 LMS courses every semester.
2. We strongly encourage students to complete their Core Courses (2000-level courses) first before attempting the prescribed electives (3000- and 4000-level courses).
Students are strongly encouraged to read the Core Courses as soon as they are offered. Please do not delay the reading of Core Courses because these Core Courses may be the pre-requisite for some courses offered in future semesters. A failure to clear the Core Courses as early as possible will impose restrictions in the choice of courses in future semesters.
B. General Education Requirement (GER) (59 AUs)
B1. GER - Core (17 AUs)
||HW0105 Academic Communication in the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
(to be taken in Year 1 Sem 1)
|HW0207 Academic Communication in Linguistics
(to be taken in Year 1 Sem 2)
||Please check semester's offerings under this sub-category.
||HD0101 Digital Society (to be taken in Year 2 Sem 2)
|HD0102 Making Sense of Big Data (to be taken in Year 2 Sem 1)
|Others (online courses that will be offered in Semester 2 of every academic year)
||HY0001 Ethics and Moral Reasoning
|GC0001 Environmental Sustainability
|ET0001 Entrepreneurship and Innovation
|Margaret Lien Centre for Professional Success (MLCPS)
||ML0003 Career Development Module (to be taken in Year 3)
B2. GER - Prescribed Electives (PEs) (12 AUs)
Students to choose 4 courses from 3 categories of studies with at least 1 course from BM and LA.
- Business and Management (BM) (3 AUs)
- Liberal Arts (LA) (3 AUs)
- Two modules from ANY of the categories LA, BM or STS (6 AUs)
B3. GER - Unrestricted Electives (UEs) (30 AUs)
There are no restrictions on the selection of courses to make up unrestricted electives. Students can choose any of the following:
- Complete a Minor in another discipline.
- Earn AUs under an International Exchange programme.
- Earn AUs under the optional Professional Attachment programme offered under SoH.
- Any course offered by any School as long as the pre-requisites are satisfied.