Admission to the MTI Programme will be based on a candidate’s prior academic record, language proficiency, and professional experience.
Prospective students should meet one of the following requirements:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution plus meeting the language proficiency requirements in English and Chinese, such as:
A Nanyang Technological University Graduate Diploma in Translation and Interpretation (GDTI) with a GPA of at least 3.5 out of 5.0, and relevant work experience (only applicable to the intakes within five years after the establishment of the MTI programme, i.e. the intakes of 2016-2020).
Other qualifications and relevant work experience, as approved by the Programme Director and/or the Academic Board.
- A good pass in GCE ‘A’ Level General Paper, or equivalent, or a higher level test
- A good pass in GCE ‘O’ Level CL1, or Higher Chinese, or equivalent, or a higher level test
- A certificate of language proficiency in English or Chinese for international applicants whose first language is not English or Chinese, e.g. an English language proficiency certificate IELTS 6.5 (with a minimum mark of 6.0 in each component), or TOEFL iBT 90, or a Chinese language proficiency certificate HSK, TOCFL or SAT subject test in Chinese. The certificate must be still within its valid period when the student is enrolled.
In addition to the above requirements, all short‐listed applicants must take a self‐monitored exam, comprising two translation tasks and two oral assessments in Chinese and English. Guidelines for submitting the files and recordings by a specified deadline will be provided accordingly. The final selection of students will be determined by the Programme Director and the Programme’s Academic Board.
After completing the online application, please send the following documents to the MTI office (Attn: The MTI Office, Address: HSS-02-19, 14 Nanyang Drive, Singapore 637332):
Application for Admission
The MTI Programme offers one intake in January each year.
Online Application for the January 2018 intake is available on 1 August 2017. Deadline for admission applications is 30 September 2017.
- Application Form and Payment Slip (please sign on both documents)
- Proof of Payment of Application Fee (transaction confirmation email from WorldPay or payment acknowledgement email from NTU)
- Passport-sized Photograph (1 piece)
- Photocopy of NRIC (for local applicants) or Passport (for international applicants)
- Photocopy of Employment Pass/Work Permit/Dependent's Pass/LTVP, if any
- Photocopy of Degree Scroll(s) (in either English or Chinese)
- Photocopy of University Transcript(s) or Results Slip(s) (in either English or Chinese)
- Photocopy of A Level Certificate(s)/Polytechnic Diploma (for local applicants)
- Photocopy of O Level Certificate(s) (for local applicants)
- Photocopy of TOEFL/IELTS (for international applications graduated from universities with non-English medium of instruction)
- Photocopy of HSK/TOCFL/SAT or National Higher Education Entrance Examination (Gaokao)/High School Transcripts (for international applicants graduated from universities with non-Chinese medium of instruction)
- Photocopy of Professional Qualifications/Membership Certificates, if any
- Documentary Proof of Present and Previous Employment (e.g. IR8A forms or letters of appointment and resignation)
- Any Other Relevant Documents (e.g. supporting letters from your employers or referees, which are recommended but not compulsory)
The documents have to reach the MTI office by 6 October 2017 (Friday). Late or incomplete applications will not be processed. Students are required to present the original copies of the above-mentioned documents during matriculation.
Click here to start your application.