Programme Information Sessions
You are invited to the Programme Information Sessions. Please register for either one of the two sessions.
Why Choose the Master of Arts in Translation and Interpretation (MTI) Programme
With a focus on English to Chinese and Chinese to English translation, the MTI Programme distinguishes itself from general translation courses and programmes. Its specific objectives are to help students develop the following capabilities:
- A high level of proficiency in listening, speaking, reading and writing in both Chinese and English.
- A comprehensive set of skills as well as professional attitudes and ethics for carrying out professional translation/interpretation work between English and Chinese.
- A thorough understanding of theories, debates and research methods in translation and interpretation studies.
- Competency in conducting research in translation and interpretation as well as expertise in research design and methodology.
- Capabilities for tackling various issues in relation to registers and styles and rendering texts from a wide range of specialised fields, as well as adequate knowledge of relevant interdisciplinary concepts.
- Awareness of technological changes and advances in translation/interpretation, as well as the know-how to use translation tools to facilitate translation production.
- The ability to reflect on one’s own translation and interpreting experience in more theoretical terms, so as to learn from future experience and foster developments in the related fields.
The establishment of the MTI Programme is a timely response to the demands of the local society and the region. It not only serves to bridge the gap between different disciplines in academia and industry but also to add to the intellectual breadth of NTU as a comprehensive university.
Application for Admission
The MTI Programme offers one intake in January each year.
Online Application for the January 2018 intake is available on 1 August 2017. Deadline for admission applications is 30 September 2017.
After completing the online application, please send the following documents to the MTI office (Attn: The MTI Office, Address: HSS-02-19, 14 Nanyang Drive, Singapore 637332):
- Application Form and Payment Slip (please sign on both documents)
- Proof of Payment of Application Fee (transaction confirmation email from WorldPay or payment acknowledgement email from NTU)
- Passport-sized Photograph (1 piece)
- Photocopy of NRIC (for local applicants) or Passport (for international applicants)
- Photocopy of Employment Pass/Work Permit/Dependent's Pass/LTVP, if any
- Degree Scroll(s) (in either English or Chinese)
- University Transcript(s) or Results Slip(s) (in either English or Chinese)
- A Level Certificate(s)/Polytechnic Diploma (for local applicants)
- O Level Certificate(s) (for local applicants)
- TOEFL/IELTS (for international applications graduated from universities with non-English medium of instruction)
- HSK/TOCFL/SAT or National Higher Education Entrance Examination (Gaokao)/High School Transcripts (for international applicants graduated from universities with non-Chinese medium of instruction)
- Professional Qualifications/Membership Certificates, if any
- Documentary Proof of Present and Previous Employment (e.g. IR8A forms or letters of appointment and resignation)
- Any Other Relevant Documents (e.g. supporting letters from your employers or referees, which are recommended but not compulsory)
The documents have to reach the MTI office by 6 October 2017 (Friday). Late or incomplete applications will not be processed.
Click here to start your application.